Translate

About Me

My photo
Texas, United States

10/29/2014

Flowers That Look Like Something Else

The flowers below all have two things in common: They're beautiful, and they remind the human eye of something else entirely. 
                         These are stunning works of art by nature.
 
Monkey Face Orchid (Dracula Simia)
 
Moth Orchid (Phalaenopsis)
 
 
Naked Man Orchid (Orchis Italica)
 
Hooker’s Lips (Psychotria Elata)
 
Dancing Girls (Impatiens Bequaertii) 
 
Laughing Bumble Bee Orchid (Ophrys bomybliflora)
 
Swaddled Babies (Anguloa Uniflora)
 
Parrot Flower (Impatiens Psittacina)
 
Snap Dragon Seed Pod (Antirrhinum)
 
Flying Duck Orchid (Caleana Major)
 
An orchid that looks remarkably like a tiger
 
Happy Alien (Calceolaria Uniflora)
 
And his friends...
 
Angel Orchid (Habenaria Grandifloriformis)
 
Dove Orchid Or Holy Ghost Orchid (Peristeria Elata)
 
White Egret Orchid (Habenaria Radiata)
 
The Darth Vader (Aristolochia Salvadorensis)
 
An Orchid That Looks Like A Ballerina
 

NATURE IS AMAZING & ASTONISHING....                         
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



 
 

7 comments:

Jill Paterson said...

These orchids are stunning, Anna. I knew there are many varieties but I didn't realise they could look like these. I wonder if Fitzjohn knows about this. He must.

Anna Maria said...

Jill...I'm sure "Fitzjohn" must know about some of these orchids, he has a lovely greenhouse and adores his variety of orchids.

But right now he's in the middle of solving another mysterious death in my Kindle and I am anxious to get back to reading how he does that just as soon as my eyes rest. Your latest mystery novel, Lane's End, is a page burner and a review of it will be showing up on this blog. :)

DMS said...

Nature is so cool! I loved trying to guess each one before I looked at the names. :) I can't decide which is my favorite. Some are so beautiful and others are kind of creepy, but fascinating (like the skulls). Such a fun post! Thanks for sharing.
~Jess

Anna Maria said...

Thanks Jess...Phalaenopsis is about the only orchid I am familiar with. My future husband in high school's parents had a greenhouse and grew a wide variety and she always made my corsages for proms and such. I always thought I had the prettiest corsage at the dance.:)

I think the Flying Duck orchid on the post is my favorite. I gazed at it's beautiful colors for quite a while and it has almost all the features of a flying duck.

GRACE PETERSON said...

Nature never ceases to amaze me. These flowers are so cool.

oneperson said...

These are incredible. Makes me want a greenhouse to grow all sorts of orchids.

Off to read more now about orchids.... ;)

Anna Maria said...

Thanks Grace and Carol...I was stunned at the beauty of these orchids also. There is no artist that can compare with Mother Nature. I'm not surprised nature is thought of as a woman. :)